Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hi my name is Hailey and I'm a bread addict

I love bread. I mean I really love bread. If I could I would eat it with butter for every meal. I once ate an entire loaf of Whole Foods Seeduction bread in one sitting. I have no shame. One of my favorite things to do on a snowy day, well any day really,  is bake my very own loaf. I love the yeasty smell and the stickiness of the dough. I usually start out with a basic recipe and then I add whatever I feel like. Today I used the King Arthur Flour recipe for oatmeal bread and then I added poppy, sesame, and sunflower seeds. It came out of the oven 15 minutes ago and I've already had a piece. Fine I had two pieces. OK don't judge me I had four pieces.

The recipe is super easy so don't be scared!

The first thing you need to do is combine the yeast and warm milk. I used 1% but anything will do.

You then combine the rest of the ingredients into a KitchenAid with a dough hook. I suppose you could do this with good ol' elbow grease but I am far too lazy.


Mix until you get a shaggy dough. Your mixer might sound like it's about to explode, but just ignore that.



After it's done mixing shape it into a ball and place in a greased bowl.



Here's the hardest part, waiting! Cover the dough with a dishtowel and place it in a warm area. I always turn my oven on and place to bowl on the counter next to it. Leave it for about an hour. When it is done rising give it a nice little punch right in the center.



Form the dough into a log shape and place in a greased 9x5 loaf pan.



Cover it one again and let it rise for about and hour, maybe a tad longer if it's not high enough. Once that's done place the the dough in the oven and bake for 35 minutes. Easy, non?

Please excuse the icky photo, I was shaking with excitement. Slather the bread with copious amounts of butter and prepare to be whisked away to carb heaven.

*Recipe courtesy of King Arthur Flour
Ingredients

  • 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached Bread Flour
  • 1 cup rolled oats (old-fashioned oats)
  • 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar or honey
  • 2 teaspoons instant yeast OR 1 packet active dry yeast*
  • 1 1/4 cups lukewarm milk
  • 3/4 cup seeds (optional)
  • *If you use active dry yeast, dissolve it in the warm milk before combining with the remaining ingredients.

Directions 


1) In a large mixing bowl, or in the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all of the ingredients, mixing to form a shaggy dough. Knead dough, by hand (10 minutes) or by machine (5 minutes) till it's smooth.
2) Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and allow it to rest for 1 hour; it'll become quite puffy, though it may not double in bulk.
3) Shaping: Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled surface, and shape it into a log. Place the log in a lightly greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan, cover the pan (with an acrylic proof cover, or with lightly greased plastic wrap), and allow the dough to rise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, till it's crested 1" to 2" over the rim of the pan.
4) Baking: Bake the bread in a preheated 350°F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 190°F. If the bread appears to be browning too quickly, tent it with aluminum foil for the final 10 minutes of baking.





No comments:

Post a Comment